Welcome foodies! If you’re looking for a vibrant, nutritious, and downright delectable dish, you’ve landed at the right place. Our “Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry with Steak” is a meal packed full of fresh, crunchy vegetables and tender, savory steak slices. This stunning, colorful dish not only tantalizes your tastebuds but is also a feast for your eyes.
My husband and our little ones absolutely adore this Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry with Steak. It all started on a chilly evening when we wanted something warm, nutritious, and flavorful. I threw together some vegetables we had in the fridge, some thinly sliced steak, and voila! An instant hit. Since then, it has become a staple in our household, an all-time favorite, brightening up our dinner table and satisfying our appetites every single time.
Why this Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe is a Must-Try ?
This Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry recipe stands out for its simplicity and bursting flavors. Made with fresh, vibrant vegetables like carrots, asparagus, bell peppers, and snow peas, it’s as nutritious as it is tasty. The thinly sliced steak adds a savory, rich dimension to the dish, while the homemade stir fry sauce brings it all together, creating a symphony of flavors in your mouth. This recipe is a surefire way to get everyone in your household eating their veggies and asking for more!
- Steak (sirloin, skirt, or flank) thinly sliced – approx 450 grams (1lb)
- Kosher salt – ½ tsp
- Ground pepper – ½ tsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp, divided
- Garlic cloves, minced – 2
- Medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced into ¼” coins – 2
- Asparagus, ends trimmed, sliced into 2″ pieces – approx 225 grams (½lb)
- Medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced – 1
- Medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced – 1
- Snow peas – 170 grams (6 oz)
- Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
Stir Fry Sauce:
- Soy sauce or coconut aminos, or tamari – ¼ cup
- Rice vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Fresh orange juice – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Cornstarch or arrowroot powder – 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 2 tsp
How to Cook this Delicious Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry ?
(Optional, but recommended.) First, prepare your steak. Pat it dry, then chill in the freezer until firm, about 20-30 minutes. Once firm, slice thinly against the grain into ⅛” – ¼” thick slices. In the meantime, prepare your vegetables and stir fry sauce.
For the stir fry sauce, combine all ingredients – coconut aminos, rice vinegar, orange juice, honey, cornstarch, and sesame oil – in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
Heat a large wok or cast iron skillet over high heat. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and heat until shimmering. Stir fry the steak with some salt and pepper until charred and medium rare, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil and let it heat. Once shimmering, throw in the carrots and asparagus, giving them a good sauté for about 3 minutes. Without delay, introduce the bell peppers and snow peas to the mix, allowing all the vegetables to stir fry for another 3 minutes. To enhance the flavor, blend in the garlic, stirring it well with the vegetables, and let it cook for an additional minute.
Return the steak to the skillet, along with the stir fry sauce. Stir fry until the sauce thickens and the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in the sesame seeds, and serve immediately. Enjoy this delicious Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry with Steak over rice, cauliflower rice, or noodles.
This Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry with Steak is incredibly versatile. Feel free to substitute the steak with tofu or chicken for a different protein option. For a gluten-free version, use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
There you have it, the perfect Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry with Steak, a meal that’s as delightful to the eyes as it is to the palate. A perfect balance of health and taste, it’s a recipe you’ll want to return to again and again.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Absolutely! While the recipe suggests sirloin, skirt, or flank steak, you can use other cuts as well. Ribeye or strip steak can also work well in this stir fry. Just ensure that the steak is thinly sliced for tender results.
Definitely! To make it vegetarian, you can substitute the steak with tofu or tempeh and use vegetable broth instead of the stir fry sauce. For a vegan version, ensure the stir fry sauce is made with tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, and replace honey with a vegan-friendly sweetener like agave nectar or maple syrup.
Absolutely! This recipe is versatile, and you can add or substitute vegetables based on your preferences. Broccoli florets, snap peas, mushrooms, or baby corn are some delicious options to consider.
Delicious and quick Steak Stir Fry
- 1 lb thinly sliced steak sirloin, skirt, or flank (454 grams)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced into ¼" coins
- ½ lb asparagus trimmed and sliced into 2" pieces (226 grams)
- 1 medium red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 6 oz snow peas 170 grams
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Stir Fry Sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce or coconut aminos or tamari 60 ml
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar 30 ml
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice 30 ml
- 2 tbsp honey 30 ml
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder 15 grams
- 2 tsp sesame oil 10 ml
- (Optional but recommended) Place the steak on a plate, pat it dry, and transfer it to the freezer. Let it chill until firm, around 20-30 minutes. This step makes it easier to slice. Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and prepare the stir fry sauce.
- In a small bowl or 1-cup measuring cup, combine all the ingredients for the stir fry sauce: soy sauce (or coconut aminos), rice vinegar, orange juice, honey, cornstarch (or arrowroot powder), and sesame oil. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- Heat a 12" cast iron skillet or large wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Add the thinly sliced steak, season with salt and pepper, and stir fry until the steak is charred and cooked to medium-rare, approximately 3-4 minutes. Use tongs to remove the steak from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering. Sauté the carrots and asparagus for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Then, add the bell peppers and snow peas, tossing them with the carrots and asparagus, and continue stir frying for an additional 3 minutes. Finally, add the minced garlic, ensuring it is well combined with the vegetables, and cook for 1 more minute, stirring and tossing frequently.
- Return the cooked steak to the skillet and pour in the stir fry sauce. Give the sauce a quick whisk before pouring to ensure the cornstarch/arrowroot is well incorporated. Stir fry everything together, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and the vegetables reach a desired bite-tender texture, approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat, stir in the sesame seeds, and serve the Steak Stir Fry right away over rice, cauliflower rice, or noodles. Any leftovers can be stored in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Adjust the seasoning and spiciness according to your preference by adding more salt, pepper, or additional spices.
Feel free to customize the vegetable selection based on your taste or what's available.
The stir fry sauce can be adjusted to your liking by adding more or less honey or adjusting the citrus flavors with additional orange juice or rice vinegar.
Leave a Reply